Global warming is becoming a critical issue due to increasing greenhouse gas emissions, which is why our mission includes reducing the environmental impact of the company’s activities and protecting the environment in whatever way possible. The IHI Group Basic Environmental Policy, which is based on the Basic Code of Conduct, Article 7: Responsibilities toward the Global Environment, helps to define our diverse, tireless and proactive approach to mitigating its impact on the global environment.
We are committed to protecting the environment, especially in communities where we have production bases. It is also our mission to reduce the impact of our products and services, and contribute to sustainable development. The IHI Group Environmental Vision 2013 was an interim three-year action plan to help us achieve a new environmental profile by FY2018. The plan was implemented in coordination with the overall business plan, IHI Group Management Policies 2013.
Positioning the first three years from FY2013 to FY2015 as the period for “building the foundation of group environmental management”, we have formulated and implemented the IHI Group Environmental Action Plan 2013, which comprises of three core strategies; 1) “Reduce the environmental impact of products and services”, 2) “Reduce the environmental impact of IHI business activities.” and 3) “Strengthen environmental management”. As a result, we were able to strengthen the foundation of our Group Environmental management.
Positioning the last three years beginning in FY2016 as the “implementation phase of group environmental management” we have formulated the IHI Group Environmental Action Plan 2016 comprised of the same three core strategies as the first three years. We are currently in the second year of this plan. By utilizing the mechanisms we have built to date and enhancing the level of individual initiatives we will implement environmental management across our entire Group and aim to realize our Environmental Vision by the end of FY2018.
Group Basic Environmental Policy
IHI Group Basic Environmental Policy
- Article 1. Establishment of Environmental Management System
To ensure continuous improvement of environmental management, the IHI Group establishes an environmental management system, sets specific objectives and executes an action and a performance evaluation.
- Article 2. Compliance with Environmental Laws and Regulations
The IHI Group complies with environment-related laws and regulations/agreements, policies/plans in related industries, and strives to stipulate and apply independent management standards to enhance environment management.
- Article 3. Provision of Environmentally-Friendly Products
The IHI Group provides the society with the products/services that contribute to reduce environmental burdens.
- Article 4. Reduction in Environmental Burdens in Business Activities
The IHI Group strives to preserve environment and reduce environmental burdens in its all business activities.
- Article 5. Environmental Education
The IHI Group, through environmental education, raises awareness of all people engaging in operations, including officers, employees, and temporary staff of IHI Group companies, thereby they are able to act having concern with environmental problems on their own.
- Article 6.Disclosure of Information
The IHI Group actively participates in the society, disclose information, and develop communications to commune with local communities and preserve regional environment.
Revised October 2015
IHI Group Environmental Vision 2013（(FY2013–FY2018)）
preserve the global environment on a continuous basis through cooperation with customers and
business partners around the world.
Materializing Our Environmental Vision
Described below are the goals IHI hopes to accomplish by lowering the environmental burdens of its products, services and business activities as well as enhancing its environmental-management activities.
Reduce the environmental impact of products and services
- Limit CO2 emissions from our operations to approximately 300,000 tons/year and cut emissions from products/services worldwide by 10 million tons/year.
- Hit specific targets for reducing CO2 emissions from products/services as stipulated by each operation.
- Increase Group-wide sales ratio of environmentally friendly products to over 70%.
- Foster recognition among customers and employees that our products/services help to protect the environment.
- Win awards for our products that contribute to global environmental preservation.
Reduce the environmental impact of our business activities
- Achieve the CO2 emissions-reduction target for Group-wide business.
- Implement energy-saving activities at production sites and offices to avoid wasting electricity or fuel.
- Facilitate green procurements by prioritizing eco-conscious suppliers.
- Stringently manage chemical substances in products to enhance customer trust.
- Make biodiversity protection a larger part of our business.
Strengthen environmental management
- Share targets for reducing environmental burdens among production sites in Japan and overseas.
- Leverage environmental management systems in main production sites worldwide for consistent environmental management.
- Globally share information on how to comply with increasingly strict local and regional environmental laws, regulations and agreements.
- Implement internal environmental audits to ensure that problems are quickly identified and addressed.
- Inform the Group about the status of environmental activities via in-house journals, intranet, etc.
IHI, aiming to build sustainable societies that protect the global environment, works to reduce environmental burdens in four main business areas, which were newly defined when IHI introduced its new Environmental Vision: Resources, Energy and Environment; Social Infrastructure and Offshore Facilities; Industrial Systems and General-Purpose Machinery; and Aero-Engines, Space and Defense.
Since IHI cannot achieve every goal alone, it is working closely with customers and business partners worldwide. Also, measures are being taken to ensure that everyone in the Group acts with environmental awareness in their respective operations, including by leveraging high technological capabilities and monozukuri precision-manufacturing skills as professionals.
Achieving Our Environmental Vision
IHI has identified three major categories of activities under its Environmental Vision:
- Measures to save energy and mitigate or adapt to climate change
- Measures to establish recycling societies
- Measures to protect the environment
- Chemical substances and environmental risks
Our business can be classified into nine basic categories: management, sales, R&D, design, procurement, manufacturing, transportation, construction and testing.
The products and services resulting from these activities are classified into three stages: usage, maintenance and disposal.
The following table describes the specific actions needed in these various categories to raise the environmental awareness of our employees.
Group Environmental Action Plan
The below table shows the results and targets of the IHI Group Environmental Action Plan 2016, which began in FY2016 year. The results and targets have been graded using four levels, represented by the symbols of ◎ (very good), ○ (good), △ (average) and × (poor).
|Activity Plan||FY2018 targets||FY2016 results|
|Reduce environmental impact of products and services||Reduce emissions from products and services by more than 10 million tons of CO2||△||More than 2.5 million tons|
|Environmentally friendly products accounted for 70% of net sales||◯||No. of certifications: 15|
|Reduce environmental impact of business activities||Reduce energy intensity and GHG emissions intensity by more than 3% compared to FY2015||△||Energy: 4% increased from FY2015|
|△||CO2: 0.9% increased from FY2015|
|Reduce waste generation intensity by more than 3% compared to FY2015||△||0.5% increased from to FY2015|
|Reduce water consumption intensity by more than 3% compared to FY2015||×||4.1% increased from FY2015|
|Promote group environment management||No major violation of environmental laws/ regulations or environmental accident||◎||No incident|
|Environmental e-Learning participation rate: 100%||△||Participation rate: 84.3%|
|Earn "management" or "leadership" rating in CDP climate change evaluation||◎||Leadership level A-|
|Nikkei Environmental Management Survey score of 400 or higher (out of 500)||◎||429|